1. Why do you recommend Exelans Energy water insulation?
Water penetrates into our buildings and causes ferrous metals in load-bearing structural elements to rust, thus reducing their ability to function. Water causes concrete, brick and wood to rot and crack. And water provides a medium for the growth of mold and bacteria. Exelans Energy water insulation provides a healthy and comfortable living space by preventing the formation of bacteria and mold, dripping of water from roofs or ceilings, and the formation of damp, in addition to providing building safety.
2. Water seeps from the ground of our building. Do we need water insulation for the foundations?
In order to avoid problems such as flooding and rising damp in the subsurface sections of the building because lack of damp proofing after the construction is completed, and in cases that groundwater is struck while digging out foundations, the foundations should be waterproofed.
3. Is waterproofing possible by ceramic coating?
Ceramic is a waterproof coating material, but not a water insulation material. For waterproofing, water insulation materials should be used.
4. There are tiles and shingles on our roof. Do we still need water insulation?
Materials such as tiles and shingles are roofing materials. Even though roofing materials are made of waterproof substances, the connection points of numerous small tiles create gaps that water can penetrate. Moreover, it is possible for the tiles to break because of wind or works on the roof.
5. Will it be enough to use water insulation only on the side of the roof over our apartment?
Water insulation should be applied to the entire roof. Water can enter spaces with under-floor insulation and so the entire roof should be waterproofed.
6. Does water insulation secure buildings against earthquake?
One of the reasons behind the collapse of the buildings during earthquakes is that the load-bearing elements of the buildings without water insulation weaken through prolonged exposure to water. If the right construction techniques, building materials and water insulation is applied during construction, the load-bearing elements of the building will be protected. However, water insulation will only help buildings to preserve earthquake resistance.
7. Even though there is no visible ground water, do we still need water insulation?
Even though there is no ground water, soil moisture and surface water may cause corrosion (rusting) and rotting of the foundations. Thus, water insulation is required for foundation and curtain wall elements.
8. What are Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats?
Exelans Energy Membranes are water-insulating unreinforced or load-bearing reinforced bitumen (asphalt) and polymer-based mats.
9. Where can I use Exelans Energy Membrane bituminous water insulating mats?
Bituminous water insulating mats can be used in almost all areas that water can penetrate, such as:
* Walls contacting soil * Foundations and flooring * Balconies * Terraces and inclined roofs * Wet areas such as bathrooms * Water tanks * Structures such as artificial lagoons and pools * Retaining walls * Concrete canals * Parking lot roofs * Highways * Railways * Structures such as bridges and viaducts
10. What is the purpose of using bearing reinforcements within Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats?
They are used to increase the mechanical resistance of bituminous water insulating mats against building movements and loads. In bituminous water insulating mats, generally polyester felt or fiberglass bearers are used.
11. Can Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats be applied to concrete surfaces?
Generally, they are applied on concrete and wood surfaces. It is possible for them to be applied on other surfaces.
12. Can bituminous water insulating mats be applied without priming?
It increases the adherence between bituminous water insulating mats and concrete surfaces. Thus water insulation should not be applied to concrete surfaces without priming. In application on surfaces other than concrete ones (wood etc.), there is no need for primer.
13. How long is the life cycle of Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats?
If the bituminous water insulating mats are selected correctly and detailed appropriately, they can continue their original performance throughout the life span of the building. However the life cycle of low quality bituminous water insulating mats is shorter.
14. Is Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats enough for water insulation by themselves?
For water insulation, bituminous water insulating mats will be enough. However, additional accessories are also used to complete the insulation such as ventilation shafts, filters and pressure bars.
15. What are the points that need to be considered while selecting Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats?
There are many criteria that need to be considered. Among them are the climate and the building’s properties. While selecting bituminous water insulating mats, choose high-quality products with a TSE document and quality certificate. Low-quality materials cause water insulation to be inappropriate and may incur additional costs later on.
16. Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats resistant to sunlight?
Bituminous water insulating mats covered with mineral or aluminum foil are resistant to UV rays. UV rays will not affect other bituminous water insulating coatings only if they are coated with a protective layer (cement, concrete, coating panels, etc).
17. Do Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats melt during hot weather?
Very high temperatures are required to melt bituminous water insulating mats. Since normal atmospheric temperatures do not reach such levels, bituminous water insulating mats won’t melt but they may soften. However, this should not affect the shape of the mat.
18. Do Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats provide thermal insulation?
Bituminous water insulating mats don’t provide thermal insulation. They are water insulation materials only.
19. Can I apply Exelans Energy mineral-coated bituminous water insulating mats in a single layer?
At least two layers of water insulation should be applied if the slope of the roof is 5% or less. If case the slope of the roof is greater than 5% and the building is not in a low-temperature region, a single layer of water insulation with a 4mm polyester felt-bearing element would be enough.
20. What should be considered after applying Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats?
Sharp objects must be kept away from the application site. Bituminous mats should be coated with a protective layer (cement finish, coating panels, etc) in order to be protected form physical effects, UV rays and severe weather.
There is no need to cover aluminum-foil-coated or mineral-coated mats with a protective layer.
21. Which side of the Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats is applied to the surface?
Uncoated surfaces of mineral-coated and aluminum-coated mats are adhesive. However, in other bituminous water insulating mats, both sides are adhesive. But the sides remaining on top after the mats are rolled should be stuck down.
22. Will carrying Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mat rolls horizontally damage the materials?
Do not carry the bituminous water insulating mat rolls horizontally because they may become deformed. Rolls should be carried and stored vertically.
23. How should the Exelans Energy bituminous water insulating mats be stored?
* Store rolls vertically on a smooth floor or surface * Carry rolls vertically during transportation * Do not pile rolls on top of one another and place heavy item on the rolls * Rolls should be kept away from heat * Do not expose mats to sudden temperature changes * Protect rolls from frost and UV rays
24. Can bituminous water insulating mats be applied under Exelans Energy roof tiles?
Wind can push water, dust and unwanted substances between the gaps in the roof. To prevent this from happening, lay bituminous water insulating mats under roof tiles. Moreover, it offers a long-term solution to leakages.